Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Give and Give

"The measure of life, after all, is not the duration, but it's donation."--Corrie Ten Boom


As of this week, I've given blood 115 times. 115 pints of my blood have been used to help people--accident victims, surgery patients, blood work experiments--without costing me a thing except for time. The first time was when my sister was preparing to have a c-section delivery and asked the family to give blood for her in case she needed it. My blood type didn't end up matching her but it put me on the steady path of donating. That was over 21 years ago and I have tried to give every 56 days since. I have missed a few times, because of work or illness or forgetfulness, but I have tried to continue as consistent as I could.

My blood could be running through veins of people that I walk past on the street. There could be people who have had a second chance to have a family or save a child for their parents by my simple "Gift of Life."

I try to think of this thing that I do as just a normal part of my life, something like a dental check-up or a doctors appointment. I had my son doing it for a while, but tattoos and piercings have kept the Red Cross from allowing him to donate his blood for stretches of time. Perhaps he will think about that before he puts another body decoration on himself, and realize that he can offer more by being eligible to donate than decorate his form.

Look around and see if you can make time to do something similar. It's kinda cheesy, but the old slogan, "The life you save may be your own," really could apply to blood donation.

Give to the your local food bank. Donate the old coats and scarves and hats. If nothing else, at least check that organ donation box on your drivers license. Remember that not everyone is able to do everything but we should each as an individuals find something we can do for someone other than ourselves.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Loreen said...

Very nice post. You really are giving the "Gift of Life". Most people these days can't think beyond themselves and their needs. I commend you for your gift of giving, not only blood, but other gifts and the things you do to help others

scott said...

mitch, the great part is that you live what you preach. you always hve. you are a good person. Jen gives blood regularly, dont know how many gallons but a few..i used to, but meds have taken that off the table. you are correct though that there are other ways to give. good food for thought. thanks for starting the new year out with this challenge.

Mitch said...

It wasn't a challenge but an idea. My wife got me thinking of gifts when she participated in "29 gifts in 29 days." It struck me how gifts can be very simple yet important.

Emily said...

I think that this is a great post. *like*

Anonymous said...

That is a great run for donating. After my last tattoo I had to wait to be eligible again but I started off right away when I was able. I will be going to Africa in 2011 in pursuit of expanding my global viewpoint on the effects of climate change so I won't be able to give after that, how long I am unsure.

It's true that giving in small ways is important. Reaching outside of your 'bubble' and touching the world so to speak can make a huge difference, you never know who's day you can affect positively when you do.

My personal goal this year is to get a sustainability club up and running at my college and to start making a difference in my community. As Helen Keller said, "I am only one; but I am still one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

Mitch said...

Gifts can change--giving blood to forming a community to exert change--all gifts.