Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Man In Black

Car rides are interesting events at times. Forced into a close space, conversations are spontaneous and often enlightening. There are times as the radial tires click out the miles you wish the trips would end and then, times where the dynamics are biblically enlightening and you wish them to keep going. Forget the destination; I’m enjoying this ride, and the conversations.

Enter the following exchange of dialogue as Coldplay’s hidden track from the X&Y album, “Til Kingdom Come” was playing. I will note here that this album is one we 3 seem to agree on and has been in the car CD player for approximately, “FOREVER.”

ME: That song was written by Johnny Cash. (Please note here that I believe I am one of John R. Cash’s biggest fans, and I enjoy the music of Coldplay)
16 YEAR OLD STEP-DAUGHTER: He was a druggie. (Please note here, minor Coldplay fan, not a fan of the “Man In Black”)
ME: He had his problems but he overcame them, he looked into the great void and overcame. (This went on for some time; I get a little passionate about it) I guess I’m going to have to Blog about it.
WIFE: I’m surprised it wasn’t your very first Blog. (Please note here, Major Coldplay fan and also not a fan of Johnny Cash)

Outnumbered and surrounded, as well as pinned behind the wheel of the car, I had nowhere to run so I began my verbal justification of the relevance of Johnny Cash, the musician and the man. I have been doing this for as long as I can remember and I have not come across anyone that seems to understand the style, songs and music of Cash. Or share my appreciation of his music. Most people think I am nuts. Sometimes I think I'm nuts.

But just give his songs “Big River”, “Folsom Prison Blues” and “Orange Blossom Special” a listen, performed live if you can find them. (They are all in my collection and I have also seen him perform them twice live in concert during the late ‘90’s) If you aren’t convinced of Cash’s unique place among the true American artists after listening, there are no words that can do it. Another approach would be to listen to Cash's interpretation of the Soundgarden song "Rusty Cage."

On another note, I stumbled on my knowledge and found out later, that the song “Til' Kingdom Come” was actually written by the guys of Coldplay and was offered to Johnny Cash to be performed at an un-named special event where the two artists, Cash and Coldplay, would share this song on the stage. Cash passed away shortly after accepting the song but before the event was finalized. Thus, it ended up as the hidden track on their album, X&Y. I don't know if Chris Martin and Coldplay share an appreciation of his music or just recognized that a song that they wrote fit his style. I hope it was the first.

And I still have more to learn about the man.

Til Kingdom Come Lyrics
Steal my heart and hold my tongue

I feel my time, my time has come
Let me in, unlock the door
I never felt this way before

And the wheels just keep on turning
Drummers begin to drum
I don't know which way I'm going
I don't know which way I've come

Hold my hand inside your hands
I need someone who understands
I need someone, someone who heals
For you I've waited all these years

For you I'd wait til kingdom come

Until my day, my day is done
Oh say you'll come and set me free
Just say you'll wait, you'll wait for me

Just say you'll wait, you'll wait for me

In your tears and in your blood
In your fire and in your flood
I heard you laugh, I heard you sing

I wouldn't change a single thing

The wheels just keep on turning
The drummers begin to drum
I don't know which way I'm going

I don't know what I've become
For you I'd wait til kingdom come
Until my day, my days are done
Oh say you'll come and set me free
Just say you'll wait, you'll wait for me
Just say you'll wait, you'll wait for me

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a wonderful thing that people have different tastes in music and can share their views and reasons for appreciation. You may open up another world for someone--not only in regard to the music, but also the person behind the music.

Emily said...

I like Johnny Cash

Anonymous said...

I like his music and I appreciate the struggles he faced during his life and admire his tenacity to over come.

Most people in my house like his music as well.