Sunday, January 10, 2010

Who are these kids…and why are they calling me Papa?

Here was the question for the ages, my ages, at the least. It sometimes seemed to be a deafening scream inside my skull. Sometimes a dull ache like a bad tooth. Who are these kids and why are they calling me Papa?

What a responsibility it becomes when you start to wonder what you need to do. I was never prepared for the changes that twisted my mind to start thinking about little beings and their many “needs.” You want to do everything they ask, take care of every hurt, and answer all the many questions that form in their mind. They consume you and your time and you shelve yourself in the process.

You are reinvented as a new type of vessel that is constantly drained by children yet seems to be eternally full. When you collapse in moments, rare moments, of peace and quiet, those grave-silent moments seem to be filled with a new found wonder and joy. A sacred laughter fills my memory, a sort of humorous, chattering, noise-filled space. I can't even remember what used to be there.

Now, I know who is the person that they called Papa…he is a man who they helped to shape and form to what they needed to move forward into the world. They didn't try to do it, it just happened. And if I succeeded in recognizing my role in their lives, they will have the gift to someday ask themselves the same question.

My 2 "no longer" children...that I am still the "Papa" too.

3 comments:

scott said...

You should be proud. Fine young ones.....also, you are a great place to borrow money...

Mitch said...

I didn't want to mention that they also shaped me into the BOP(Bank of Papa). I am also now a garage mechanic, storage facility and moving service.

Mom said...

Very nice picture of your children and my grandchildren,it is hard to believe they are so grown up.I chuckled at your comment,seems life is the same for you as it has been for dad and I,since we have done the same for all of our kids as your doing now. That is part of being a parent,and just think someday they may be doing the same with their kids. Just keep loving them and being there for them,letting them make their own mistakes,that is the best you can do for them. Your a GREAT PAPA! Dont forget that.
Love MOM