Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Why?

Why? That is one of the first complete questions that are formed on a child's lips. I know that from the many times I tried to answer my own children's baffling questions. Like what does the color green smell like? It is repeated until the why is not important any longer. When did I stop looking for the reasons (the why) for things? What is that point where we quit asking for the reason why and start to merrily follow the path that seems to be in front of us?
I remember not asking why when I was a teen. When I thought that I was the answer to the questions. I began to just watch others to try to determine the wheels of the mechanics of living. I became silent in my quest. I remember at that same time, I began to wonder internally about the greater spiritual things that crept into my thoughts. But I was not really asking why. I was more seeking factual answers to the problems, dilemmas and situations that I was encountering. Now, I realize that my brain was broken to why.
Why is listening to the breeze, feeling the sun, smelling the morning, looking at loved ones, speaking with gentleness.
I am going to once again ask...Why?

2 comments:

Board Members said...

Can we ever really know why? Perhaps the answer is to accept what is.

Mitch said...

Perhaps.