Friday, July 24, 2009

CCR and Musical Enlightenment

Two of my favorite records came to me by surprise. As a Christmas present from my aunt back in the late 60's. Now I'm talking LP's, 33 1/3 rpm, vinyl, cardboard jacket with a paper sleeve, flat black and circular. You can only find them now at select garage sales and Goodwill stores. Now I don't say that I miss records, I really find digital music and cd's more convenient and easier to listen to. But records, when I pick them up(because I still have them), tell me about a time, place and person.
The only records we ever had as kids were some that my mom had and some Disney dog story LP's, scratched and listened to a thousand times. Gunfighter ballads from Marty Robbins. Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison and San Quentin. Johnny Horton singing about the War of 1812 and Alaska. Great albums,but those two Christmas albums, "Green River" and "Cosmos Factory" by Creedence Clearwater Revival, opened up music to me. The sound was so different and emotional and STEREO! I did not remember asking for this group as they really were unknown to me at the time. I believe my aunt must have really liked them and was trying to share that with me.
What she ended up sharing with me is the curiosity to embrace an eclectic love of music that puzzles me to this day. I probably said thanks at the time for the present, but I have never truly thanked her for what was the true gift.
Thanks for the gift of opening my ears.
As a footnote, I have Johnny Cash, Johnny Horton, Marty Robbins and everything by CCR all on CD now-- still some of my favorite music.

No comments: