Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Demise of Cookie Monster As We Knew Him

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." -- Mark Twain

I am now going to write about what I have no official training to speak of. But that may be the point.

A health topic. Specifically, “The Childhood Obesity Epidemic.”

Mis-information seems to abound these days. My incredibly knowledgeable wife Karen, a Registered Dietitian with a Masters Degree in Human Nutrition from Case Western University, as well as writer of the blog “The Wellness Writer”, where all nutrition truth in my life flows from, is getting pretty irritated these days. For her to experience this emotion—or reaction—is somewhat entertaining to me and provides countless issues to talk about. Firstly, because I and my habits aren’t responsible, and secondly, she rarely lets actions and opinions of others bother her. She has a profound understanding of the proper approaches to child nutrition and though patient with most people, is beginning to let the “idiots” (my word for the people who are questionably proposing solutions for problems that perhaps are not problems until they have created them as so) get under her lovely and patient skin.

Here is my example of the seriousness of the situation. The producer of Sesame Street, Carol-Lynn Parente is quoted as saying, “Childhood obesity is at an epidemic. We feel we have a responsibility to do what we can to address it.”

So the character of Cookie Monster has a newfound nutritional awareness and is expressing it with a new anthem, “Cookie is a Sometime Food.” No longer will Cookie Monster suffer his single-handed obsession over cookies.

I guess Ms. Parente feels that they need to use Cookie Monster, a stuffed animal puppet character, the essence of childhood entertainment, as a role model. So Sesame Street is shifting Cookie Monster to a healthier lifestyle, by including and enjoying more fruits and vegetables in his diet.

Maybe a better approach would be for Cookie Monster to tell the kids watching his show to shut the TV off and go outside and play.


Now we got Senators like Sen. Tom Harkin stating the line that “The incidence of childhood obesity is now at epidemic levels.” Jumping on the obesity bandwagon are movie stars, professional athletes, writers, medical professionals and even First Lady Michelle Obama, telling us that our kids are fat and need to be put on diets.

So Karen wrote a letter to First Lady Obama. I warned her that she would now be on “The List” right next to my name. After all, I own guns and voted Republican.

Then I had my own flashback. I remember my Middle School wrestling coach telling my parents at an end of season banquet that if I could just drop a few pounds that I would be more competitive at a lower weight class. Now I had a little extra weight on me, but I was active and liked to eat. Cookies that my mom made were part of the diet, but so were the family meals that we shared every night and the Cap’n Crunch cereal that was my breakfast. So I just ignored the weight loss advice and continued to lose wrestling matches to starving, leaner and very angry young athletes. I did not drop from the 95 pound weight class to the 90, or even 85 pound weight class. When I look at that now, it seems absurd that it was even suggested to me.

I recently came across a quote from James Baldwin where he stated “Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them.” It doesn’t mention childhood obesity at all but sums up what may be the true underlining problem our children are facing.

And that is their parents.

Have some fun with this…Join the Facebook page “Back in my day, the cookie monster actually ate cookies, not vegetables.” At last look it had over 108,500 fans.

6 comments:

Georgia said...

I like the Cookie Monster! He is my fave :)

Emily said...

C is for cookie, not cauliflower haha

mom said...

Yes I baked cookies,cakes,and had snacks when you kids were young,and I tried to have balanced meals but also had sweetened cereal,pancakes with syrup,but all 4 of you were not overweight in school in fact on the lean side wore "slim" jeans ,but then again none of you were in the house much you were out playing ball,fixing bikes,running to the river to catch fish for tanks riding bikes,sledding,active in winter and summer,not in front of a tv or game.Yes we had tv,had shows that you all watched when you would get up in the morning and in the evening before bed,but not much after school You could not wait to get home to do things outside. That is the difference now,kids need to learn to play outside again and see nature and what is in the real world not the tv one. However due to the prices now of vegetables and fruits,it is hard to eat the way we should but you and Karen are examples of what a healthly eating pattern is about,and combined with exercise which you also do,you have it right.The more the parents dwell on food the more problems there will be with eating habits.They need to have healthly things available and teach them the good snacks and foods they should eat but not make issues of it.If we started out when we were young we would not need all the crazy diet things advertised just common sense.

Mitch said...

I wasn't a slim...I was a regular. Toughskin jeans. I remember a birthday cake that I made for Georgia decorated as the "Cookie Monster"...does that make me a bad role model?

Anonymous said...

So, they put Cookie Monster on a diet. What's next? Oscar the Grouch on antidepressants? Grover on Ritalin?

Mitch said...

Maybe they should have taken Big Bird off the growth hormones earlier.