Monday, November 30, 2009

Circling Along a Straight Line

"My heart leaps up when I behold...A rainbow in the sky."--William Wordsworth

I seem to be encountering circles in my life and they seem to be helping me to un-straighten the path that I have been traveling. Now you may feel that the straight path would be the one that seems to be the right one to follow, I am beginning to think that I find more to love on the little circle detours that I find myself on. They are like miniature surprises and fill me with wonder.

It got me thinking about circles.

A circle in the form of a ring is the symbol of eternity an such has been adopted since Roman times as an outward sign of betrothal and marriage. The halo is symbolic of holiness and is found in pictures throughout the Renaissance, the sculpted and carved and painted beings of great sacredness; Jesus, Mary and the Saints being just a few examples. Infinity can be represented by the geometrical fact that a circle has no end and no beginning.

We find ourselves huddled around campfire rings at night and the legendary knights of King Arthur assembled around the "Round Table." Ezekiel in the Old Testament of the Bible saw the first flying saucer, spoked wheels within wheels that rose from the earth towards the heavens.

The teachings of Buddha are symbolized by the eight-spoked "Wheel of Dharma", and like a moving wheel, the wisdom of the Buddha continue to spread. And how can you not look at the circle of Stonehenge and not wonder what powerful messages were heard by the builders of that monument.

Rainbows in the sky link the heavens to the earth, appearing so large we can only see a half for the other half is obstructed by the massive body of the Earth. Only staying with us for brief moments at a time and seen often by a chance glance to the horizon. I still breathlessly proclaim the sight of them to whoever is around me at the time.

So even though I am trying to follow a path to a invisible point on the horizon, I think I have one leg a bit shorter than the other. I travel and travel and surprise, I find myself looking back down at the footprints I left in the past. Traveling a circle through life. Involuntary backward time travel.

5 comments:

scott said...

"all my life's a circle, sunrise and sundown"...Harry.. i have been going in circles for years. its a familiar path. hard to screw up. the more time you spend in the UP the better you will understand living and traveling in a circle.

Mitch said...

Scott...You understand the circle. The wheel. Do you suppose the other half of the rainbow can be seen? Or is that the invisible part of eternity. Who is Harry?

scott said...

Harry Chapin.....ya know...Taxi, "cats in the cradle and such"...you got enough gray hair to remember him. the leprechaun is at the end of the rainbow...everyone knows that.

Anonymous said...

It reminds me of the saying, "What goes around, comes around." Life has a way of completing the circle. What you send out to others and the universe is what you'll get back. So, send out good thoughts and words and deeds. :)

Mitch said...

That was the message in the Harry Chapin song "Taxi." About finding your place, living it in happiness, and outwardly loving it by sharing with those you encounter randomly while you exist.