Thursday, October 15, 2009

Living Truly is a Gift

“The proper function of man is to live–not to exist.”
–Jack London


I always love the stories that my Dad tells about his life growing up and the many characters – relatives, friends and neighbors – that peopled them. When I was young, the stories were told to others, with me a quiet listener. They were told in old trucks loaded with hounds on the way to or from a favorite rabbit, pheasant or raccoon hunting spot; at November evening deer camps; or with the background noise of a rattling John Boat, hurtling down some gravel road to a fishing hole. Being a hunter and fisherman father, he knew how to spin a tale and to capture his audience. With stories that were both colorful and tragic. They amazed me--how it must have been to live then--with so many colorful characters and crazy, wonderful, magical circumstances surrounding his life. Some of the comrades that left on fishing and hunting trips were as colorful as any found in a Jack London story of the early 20th century.

Only later in life, when a child begins to see more than the obvious facts, did I realize that there were underlying, terrible sets of circumstances that he lived with. The stories that made us laugh and sigh with wonder must have been no less than horror stories in his mind. He grew up with alcoholism in his family, the end of the depression era, uncles that were POW’s in Germany during WWII, a rare-at-the-times mother that worked, and even 2 older sisters (which when he was a kid was probably YUCK, as we only appreciate fully sisters when we are older). Despite all that he still laughed and smiled mischievously to his family. He never stood still, was a constant moving being. He worked like a madman to give us the best he was capable of achieving through hard work, discipline and guidance.

His childhood, as he told us with his recollections, were filled with boyish adventure in a time when simple living gave simple pleasures. Where you could walk out your backdoor and start pheasant hunting (if you could afford a shell, and I mean a single or pair of shells). When you thought that the greatest thing you owned was your BB gun or slingshot or the best cur hunting dog in the neighborhood. Where impossible chores had to be completed, with shovels, axes and bare knuckles (like new outhouses to be dug or slaughtering the pig). Unexpected things happened to him along railroad tracks, in surrounding fields or even inside his ram-shackled house.

I remember Dad being gone an awful lot, but I never felt neglected. More often I was jealous, for he was truly living and breathing in his time on earth and experiencing everything, fully. I was stuck in school being denied a real life.

I understand the gift he must have gave his friends during his sporting ventures with them. As I got older my time with him, sharing the things he loved doing, increased. And I understood him more. He is the perfect companion if you just want silent company. But around a campfire or alone with him in a fishing boat, be prepared to listen if he wants to talk—listen to the stories he has inside him.

He gives me a role model for embracing living and experiencing every gift of our breaths of time. A lesson I am still trying to completely learn, if I ever totally will.


Photo: Dad with his redbone and redtick coonhounds, Bones, Smokey and Shane, who shared many nights with him. He is standing in the basement of the addition he built to our previously 1 bedroom house, so it could accommodate 4 kids.

5 comments:

mom said...

This was a wonderful story about your dad. He is not here at the moment to read it and Im sure when he comes in it will mean the world to him and bring tears to his eyes. He is truly as proud of you as you are of him.Thanks so much for doing this for him! Love you Mom

Emily said...

This is a great post. My favorite memory of Grandpa is when they still lived in Dewitt, him and I went to their house in Vestaburg to mow the lawn. I felt like it was a very important mission and I was happy to be a part of it. We stopped at the store on the way up, he told me that we were stopping to get things for lunch and I could pick out whatever I wanted. He always makes even the smallest things seem very important. (We used to have picnics under the deck where he would take a candy bar and split it in half. It meant more to me than any money could buy) While inside the store I had the mission of picking everything out. Being as I was only about 5 years old everything I choose was some form of candy. He didn't say one thing, just chuckled as I brought my selection to the counter. We spent the day at their new house mowing the lawn and tending to things. He gave me the job of giving him directions while he backed up the lawn mower, so I felt like I was helping. I remember the ride there, he never got mad or impatient even though I asked 100 questions the whole way. I have so many memories of Grandpa, and many more to create! Love ya!

Nicole Longstreet said...

I remember going to Gramps and Grandmas house for a week during Christmas break. After loading all of our presents into their truck, we were off to their house. While my sister stayed in with Grandma baking, I would go out fishing with Gramps. He called me his "fishing buddy". We would spend hours, or what seemed like hours, in his fishing boat out on Bass Lake. Gramps was always so patience when helping me learn how to catch the "big ones". (Even though sometimes my hook and worm seemed to land on he shore more than in the water). I remember catching my fist bass with my Gramps. Using just a snoopy pole, I recall saying "Gramps I can't do it, my arm hurts." But he make me reel the fish in, teaching me to never give up. Spending time fishing with my grandpa was my favorite thing to do. His positive attitude and smiles made it so enjoyable. Even today, I still enjoy fishing due to how much fun he made it for me when I was younger.

DAD and "GRAMPS" said...

thanks for all the nice memories that you have written about me .I have the same nice memories and lots more of my chidren and grandchildren.You all have brought happiness to me and Im proud of all of you,thank you. dad and GRAMPS

Mitch said...

Fishing and candy...That's my Dad.