Wednesday, April 27, 2016

You Must Hear Them Better When They Yell



“If you fuel your journey on the opinions of others, you are going to run out of gas.” ― Steve Maraboli
How has it reached a point where everyone with a microphone these days seems to be telling us that they know better what is right for us then we do? I am talking about FOX News, CNN, MSNBC, comedy shows, dramas, radio disk jockeys, even the guy holding the sign at the intersection. We are treated as if we are just simple, stupid hicks. We are looked at by these con artists and spin doctors with their smug, satisfied smiles and provided their simple answers to our varied and many complex problems. Their statements seem so emotionally satisfying to that primitive part of our brain that we can’t help but think about jumping on the bandwagon, shouting amen, or buying a couple gallons of that snake oil they’re peddling. 

In the eighties it was “Tear down the wall” and now we are exhorted to “Put up a wall.”


So let’s dissect a couple things:
Because someone knows more and bigger words, this does not make them smarter.
Not believing the same things as what you believe doesn’t make them right and you wrong, right?
Failing to agree with the majority does not make that minority opinion or viewpoint necessarily a terrible problem, or make them terribly wrong.

Basically, (in my humble, un-shouted opinion) we need to work on having a high level of respect for the many differences of opinion, more than what is happening around us these days. Having moral, policy, or ideological differences is not a failure by one side to “get it.” You don't have to save me from myself or my personal values. I am great with them and we are getting along splendidly.

I am waiting for the ridicule to stop, and empathy to begin to evolve in some people. I am waiting and hoping to hear people without all the shouting and name-calling. 

Basically I am waiting.

It may be a long wait for me and I hope that to have enough gas in my tank. 

No comments: