Sunday, January 9, 2011

Hats


"Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves." -- Rudyard Kipling

I take myself to seriously. That is one of the first things that I was aware of...my sensitivity to being teased. Though I have a great sense of humor and love to tell and hear jokes, funny stories and other peoples laughter, I have always been a bit uncomfortable when I was the one being played the fool.

That has gradually over time slowly faded away, similar to my hairline. But isn't that one of the great uses for hats--they hide what we may be losing--in this case my diminishing hair?

So how many different hats do I have? I have a hat that covers up the past that keeps winking at me. I can't see it wink at me till the hat slips or gets knocked off by little annoyances. I have another that is pulled down almost completely covering my eyes so it is difficult to see what is in front of me...or in other words the future. Maybe that's a good thing. It keeps me wondering what lays in wait for me. A tiger shining brightly or possibly a shadowy, camouflaged mystery. And I have a hat that I wear all the time, that is with me in the present. It is the one I like the best. It fits me the best. It covers what needs to be covered. It lets in my dreams. It even looks good on me, like wearing a grin.

I see it as a clown hat. Seriously. I am learning to laugh at myself.

No clown shoes though, they give me the creeps.

2 comments:

mom said...

I like this blog,even though it brings back "OLD" memories to me of you as a young boy wearing a cap. Dad has always worn caps,he prefers the traditional baseball cap,and is very picky on them,some are too tall,brim to big,and because his hat size is Xl sometimes it is hard for him to find the right hat! They are very useful also to keep the sun out of his eyes when fishing,or doing outdoor activities when the sun is out in Michigan! They also keep the hair in place after combing it. One thing to remember it is not what the hat looks like on the person it is the person under the hat that counts no matter what style you choose to wear.

Anonymous said...

So, your hats are like a mini costume you hide behind to keep from getting hurt?