Friday, April 16, 2010

The Little Things

"I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble."--Helen Keller

The above quote sent to me on Facebook by my sister, got me thinking about the little things, or as Ms. Keller referred to them as the “small tasks.” We’ve heard people tell us to “not sweat the small things” or “don’t let the little things get us down.” I’m not sure that these approaches are the proper tactics.

It seems to me that whenever I have tried to skip or speed through part of a job, and it is usually a small segment of the job, that is what I end up having to go back and fix (or disassemble). The same with life, the stuff that I didn’t pay that much attention to are the regrets that seem to pop up later and bite you in the keester. Like why I ever smoked cigarettes, or drove down dirt roads at night at 17 with my headlights off on my car.  Testing my immortality by daring God to smite me. Sorry Mom and Dad, you didn't know.

I would love to have my name in some history book, for some noble accomplishment that somehow bettered humanity. But I have my doubts if that will ever happen. Perhaps it will be a mention that I was a father or grandfather of some great person. I already believe that to be true, but it is yet to be printed. My children may beg to differ on my greatness. In fact, I would encourage them in that.

There are people who will probably remember how I made them laugh at some dull industry presentation that they surprisingly, or refreshingly, had me as the presenter. I can even find some humor in a Power Point of “manure management practices” and “dairy cow comfort” issues. Making people laugh can be a “great and noble” thing as well, if it remains in good taste.

Now I really try hard to carefully proceed in what I do. I think a lot more before I speak and act. Not cautious, but in a thoughtful way, taking things into consideration. Caring. Being more mindful like the Buddha.

I think that is what I enjoy about words, is the careful choosing of phrases and subjects to make a point or form a question. The best I can hope for, is that when someone reads my writing, it may make their thoughts wander a bit, down a favorite path of their minds choosing, and feel some joy for a moment…or longer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this quote by Helen Keller. I've often wondered, "What good am I?" since I don't seem to have a major talent that I can use to help others. But, what I've been reading lately has helped me realize that just being me is good enough. I don't have to DO anything. BEING is the answer.

Mitch said...

"What good am I?" seems to me to be really a question of "What good am I to others?" as that is often the basis of how we judge ourselves. And we are tough judges aren't we...when it comes to ourselves.